SailNet Community - View Single Post - Is this the right inflatable dinghy? (new member)
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2008
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Towing a dingy is insignificant to most any boat with an engine. There's little reason you would ever want to put it on the foredeck, unless you were heading to bermuda, in which case I would leave it home. Any dingy on the foredeck of 28' would mean you can't use the foredeck.

You may have this dingy hopefully for 10-20 years, don't go cheap, buy a good quality unit and you'll appreciate it every time you use it.

If you be leaving the inflatable in the water I'd strongly recommend paying the extra to get a RIB, you and the missus willl love it. Very stable and very durable

IMHO 9.9" is too short get an 11, you can then carry four adults in comfort and safety. Get a 6 HP outboard and you will be ready to rock and roll. I have had an AB 11 rib for about 10 years and it still puts a smile on my face ever time I get in it.

I am not familiar with Maxxon, I would not buy a price boat here. Look at Achilles or Zodiac and compare the quality to Maxxon. If you look carfelly I bet you will see the price difference. if you really want the Maxxon, see if you can find one that is 5-10 years old and see how it has held up. IMHO pay the difference and buy a quality boat, you will get it back in spades by how well the boat survives you hard use.