SailNet Community - View Single Post - Steering Cable Replacement
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2008

radcat is on a distinguished road
Thanks to the replies to this post, I am ready to install the parts. I ended up getting a rigger to make up the cables ($50 vs the $240 that Edson wanted). In my case, the cable was in good shape except for an isolated area on the starboard wire that had about half the strands broken. This did not point to a misaligned sheave since you would expect to see more generalized wear. A rigger thought that as some point, the cable became loose and jumped the sheave causing the damage. Something to remember if it ever happens. Another problem I noted was an abraded instrument wiring harness that someone had installed too close to the chain. Just like a car, one of the benefits of doing the work yourself is that you spot other problems in the process. I do have one other question. When I removed the cable, each eye bolt was secured with two nuts- one on each side of the radial housing making a secure fit. The Edson literature (not very comprehensive) indicates that both nuts should be on the same side. It seems to me that if that were the case, the eye would be free so float back and forth a bit and eventually damage the threads or, more probably, abrade the hole in the radial. Has anyone else encountered this? I remember reading somewhere that it is not always wise to reinstall parts on an old boat the way they came off. You don’t know who did the previous work.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook