SailNet Community - View Single Post - Steering Cable Replacement
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2008

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by radcat View Post
The Edson literature (not very comprehensive) indicates that both nuts should be on the same side. It seems to me that if that were the case, the eye would be free so float back and forth a bit and eventually damage the threads or, more probably, abrade the hole in the radial. Has anyone else encountered this? I remember reading somewhere that it is not always wise to reinstall parts on an old boat the way they came off. You donít know who did the previous work.
Both nuts should be on the same side. The first one adjusts the eyebolt and the other locks the first. I don't think you will have a problem with the bolt floating back and forth if everything is adjusted properly but if you are worried about it, put a third nut on the other side. I can't see how that could hurt anything.

You're right about not always installing things the way they came off. You should install them the way they should be.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook