SailNet Community - View Single Post - Those little green Coleman propane bottles
View Single Post
post #13 of Old 05-10-2008
Originally Posted by TrueBlue View Post
My experience jft, differs greatly. We had a double 10lb cylinder propane locker on our last boat, but used the disp. bottles for the stern rail-mounted Magma - since the propane locker was midships and usually too much hassle to connect the hose.

We also removed the small bottles after each use. But the occasional unit developed a leak - not enough to make a loud hiss, but if placed close to your ear, there was a slight hisss. Our slipmate, who we cruised with regularly, kept his bottle attached to the Magma - said it's safer keeping the leaky bottles in open air than in his vented lazerette.
This is my approach: green Colemans on the stern rail Magma barbeque, and 20 lb. propane on deck feeding the Force 10 in the galley.

If we are going down the lake, I secure the bottle with shock cord. If the weather pipes up, I remove the bottle and put it in the footwell cockpit, as this has two 3-inch pipe scuppers going aft to the stern. If the weather is REALLY heavy, I remove the Magma off the rail.

The Colemans provide about 6-8 barbeque dinners, which is more than we typically have in a season. Running a separate line from the main propane tank would be awkward and potentially's really not worth it.
Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome