SailNet Community - View Single Post - BVI charter report
View Single Post
Old 08-04-2003

dameware is on a distinguished road
BVI charter report

Magnus, I have spent a lot of time living/working on various boats all over the Caribbean (spent 7 months straight at one point at Nanny Cay on Tortola) and I understand very well what you are describing in the attitudes of the locals.

I would describe it (generally) as indifference rather than rudeness. Some of the attitude can be racially motivated I guess, but for the most part they just don’t care. I just learned to live with it.

I remember talking to a taxi driver on Dominica who complained that it took a long time to get his car serviced when it broke. He said the car sat at a mechanic’s shop for many days before the mechanic felt like it was time to look at the car.

“What if I set up a mechanic’s shop on the island and fixed broken cars right away rather than make you wait a long time – do you think I would get all the work – would everyone bring their cars to me?”

He said no, that people would keep bringing their cars to the same place. This is the same taxi driver who was giving our boat crew a lift and we watched in amazement as he dropped a soda bottle out the window and watched it shatter all over the street. I asked him if it was possible that he would get a flat when he came back this way and his response, as I recall, was complete, absolute indifference.

Go figure…
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook