SailNet Community - View Single Post - Product Reviews
Thread: Product Reviews
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2008
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
Makita 18volt cordless drill

Makita's latest cordless drill is 18 volts, has a 1/2" chuck, and uses lithium-ion batteries. You can get one with two batteries at Home Depot for about $200. The charger will recharge a battery in about 15 minutes! No more waiting around, or having to have over two batteries, anymore. I did have one battery go bad on me, actually my wife-but she let's me use it, and they just swapped it out at HD. No further troubles and it's been a year of regular use.

Three things make this the best drill my wife has ever owned. OK, it was going to be my drill but when I saw how light weight it was I decided she needed a surprise gift for just because. It really is the lightest drill I've ever used and it's also the highest voltage so it sure does crank. What really sold me, at the store, was that it has a 1/2" chuck. I was going to take it to work as about half the things I need a drill for call for a 1/2" chuck. Most drills are 3/8" chuck and it's a pain in the neck either in an electric or battery drill.

The 15 minute charging time is for real as well and the lithium-ion batteries do not lose their charge sitting in the case nearly as quickly as the other's I've owned.

The only thing I can say negative about the drill is that, instead of the traditional Makita green, the company decided to make it silver and grey. It's an awful color scheme and looks like it was influenced by some sneaker designer. I'd own two by now except my wife has been generous in letting me borrow it and besides, I get out of a lot of pressing non-boat projects by telling her I just need to charge up those old batteries and I'll be right on it, dear!