SailNet Community - View Single Post - What do you tell your sailmaker?
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2008
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
What do you tell your sailmaker?

I'm looking to the future and planning to buy new sails for my boat. This looks like it will be the largest investment in the boat between now and the big departure date besides the original purchase price. I've been trying to educate myself and to find out who's got the good reputation but I still have a long way to go.

My question is this? How do you approach a sailmaker who is going to build your offshore cruising sails? What kind of conversation do you have? What specifications do you lay out and what do you leave up to the "experts?"

Do you say, "I'm going to sail down the west coast and to the Med. I have X type of boat and I want good sails."

Or do you say," I'd like a 123.5% yankee cut genoa made of challenge HSX cloth, crosscut, triple stitched, with a clew height of 8 ft 16.5deg of camber at 25kts of apparent wind....."

Or something in between? If I buy a new sail I want it to be custom to my needs but I don't want to tell the cook how much pepper to put in the soup.

MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook