SailNet Community - View Single Post - What do you tell your sailmaker?
View Single Post
Old 05-12-2008
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
I guess the sailing wind "range" of the sails is one of the big things I need to work out. Currently we only have 100% jibs (375sqft) that came with the boat. I don't think this is enough canvas for most conditions as we have a heavy 28,000disp (dry) boat. In 18kts of wind we could have the full working plan up without feeling overpowered.

One of the main goals for my sails is to try and increase sail area as much as possible, thus I am trying to make my headsail as big as possible but still usable up into the wind ranges where I would switch to the 125sqft storm jib.

Since I'm on a ketch the headsail isn't reefed first, the main is. This increases the upper range the genoa will see and thus hinders it's lower range (I think). Finding that sweet spot is what I'm having trouble with right now.

MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook