SailNet Community - View Single Post - Boat for kids
Thread: Boat for kids
View Single Post
Old 05-14-2008
Bali Hai

mgraham49 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to mgraham49
I listened to an interview about PD Racers on "Furledsails.com". Until I looked, I didn't know that stood for Puddle Duck. But what caught my attention was that a well known Austraillian small boat designer and builder (Michael Storer) was talking about getting involved in building them, because they could be built for about $300 apiece... total!. His comment was that is less than the blocks on most 10 - 12 footers.

They are apparently the fastest growing class in the US, and something like more than 50% of them are being built by people who have not previously sailed. I did a google search, then found video clips on utube showing one in action. the great thing about one clip was that the sail was made of tyvek, which for those who cannot remember where they saw it, is the stuff you wrap houses with to weather seal them before you put on the bricks.

This is back to the basics. But could be done by a club and members for a minimal price.

I like the idea of building one for each of my grandchildren for less than a $1000 total. And I can put away the auto pilot and spinnaker pole.

Mike Graham
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook