SailNet Community - View Single Post - Trip Planning: Salem, MA to Cape Cod
View Single Post
Old 05-14-2008
Northeast 25 O'day Owner

Birdface will become famous soon enough
Thank you all so much. I'm reading these, will make some plans while talking to the guests on-board, and edit this post to let you know the outcome.

You guys are terrific.

-Bird

Edit 1: Yes, I've actually hit 7 knots. It's the taller-rig, full keel 25' O'day from 1976. After speaking with Rudy at D&R I found out this specific mix of models was pretty rare. The knot-meter is about as old as the boat, so that might just be the speed transducer whipping around .

Edit 2: SD/SF, very wise advice both of you. I neglected to mention that we're heading for the cape where our parents will be waiting at a vacation home. So I was thinking "as fast as possible while assuring arrival with daylight". But now that I see the logic in the stop-over I might reconsider and make the sail more of the vacation than the cape-cod house. This would be up to the crew as I'd be cutting into their "beach time". But they seem really excited, more-so about the sail than the vacation on the Cape. (they are from the same Northern Italian sailor blood after all) This would also be our first south shore sail, so I think there's a good deal of logic in stopping in and seeing the towns.

Edit 3: Nola and others, I was actually hoping to get out of sight of land. We haven't done it yet and it would be a rush I'm sure. (Even with two GPS systems and all charts) I actually think Nola's write-up is the best mix of all your advice. It's two plans which are dependent on conditions. So I have a backup. My original plot had me rounding that YAB-2 as a sanity check. I figured we'd be just about out of sight from land and having a buoy to make us confident would've helped.

I'll honor you all and share this with the entire crew and get them involved in the planning. This way they're all less likely to mutiny.... Right?

Hello Sailor: "I've just learned that good boats, in good hands, are damned robust creations."

Last edited by Birdface; 05-14-2008 at 08:16 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook