SailNet Community - View Single Post - Baby on Board
Thread: Baby on Board
View Single Post
Old 05-14-2008

lharmon is on a distinguished road
How old?

Our children are now 4 & 6 so I can remember a little. I remember using the V-berth for naps with cushions and netting blocking the escape route. Blankets locked the kid in place.

A good fitting life jacket is a must. We did bring the car seat and used it a lot lashed in place. But once the baby could move about we just let the jungle gym games take place. I can remember seeing something falling across the cabin one day while well heeled. Investigating we found the "girls" riding cushions from the high to the low side. Watching them climb back up was astounding.

As they are learning to walk a sailboat is a wonderful thing to clamber around on. The safety police will probably hate me for writing that. No offense to real police intended because they actually try to keep us all safe.

We did and still do lash them in or tether them via their life jackets when the ride gets to be a little wild. But I did learn to level the boat out and found it to be as fast or faster than when ploughing along with a rail submerged. Not as satisfying - but I like faster.

Last edited by lharmon; 05-14-2008 at 08:55 PM. Reason: Additional info - and I did not even ask my wife.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook