SailNet Community - View Single Post -
Thread:
View Single Post
Old 08-10-2003

Stede is on a distinguished road
Jeffamc,

I understand you wanting to quit school.I spent several years in vain trying to convince my oldest son not to drop out.He eventually did anyway.After being out a couple of years,he found out how tough it was making a living.He became frustrated that the only work he could get was minimal paying jobs,or very hard physical jobs.He decided to go back to school and get his GED.After getting it,he joined the Army.While in the Army,he''s excelled at everything he''s done and is now in the process of trying out for the special forces.Looking back on it now,I really believe my son was just bored with school.He''s super smart and I think he really just wasn''t being challenged in school in areas that were of interest to him.My advice to you is along the same lines as what I believe someone else has already mentioned to you. Get your GED,and then at least learn a trade.If you''re mechanically inclined,you might want to consider learning about diesels.A good diesal mechanic can make good pay anywhere in the world.Refrigeration on boats is also a great trade to learn that will produce good money.Get some of Nigel Calders books.The books are very good on all aspects of boat maintenance and repair.They might help you decide what type of trade would be good for you.For what you said you want to do,it seems that the ideal situation for you would be to find work at a boat yard with a tech.school close by.I hope I''ve helped you generate some ideas. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook