SailNet Community - View Single Post - Jib or Main question?
View Single Post
Old 05-16-2008
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Again I know a lot depends on the boat and it will take me some time to experiment with different sails in different conditions but in general what would you guys start out doing?
I would start out doing what I personally felt comfortable with. If that was motoring, then I would motor. If that was sailing under genny alone, then I'd do that if the boat handled well.

If I was not going to use both sails (which would be my first choice), my personal inclination would be to use whatever sail I felt most confident in handling in case of emergency. Are you going to find it easier to douse the main or the genny ? Is the boat more responsive under one than the other ?

You probably won't have much luck reaching or beating under a jib (100% or less) alone.

Depending on the boat, it may be more balanced under main alone than under genny alone. If it's a masthead high aspect ratio rig dependent on large headsails, then you'll probably be fine under genny alone.

There are no rules, save keep the boat under control and don't stress your rig unduly. It depends on the boat, the wind, the seas and the skipper. What works in one direction might not work so well in another.

Using your genny alone doesn't place any untoward stress on the boat as long as your standing rigging is not too loose. Pay attention to it and check it regularly with a Loos gauge. It can change a significant amount over the course of the season. When your rig gets loose bad things can happen.

Sounds like a nice brisk sail. Enjoy !
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook