SailNet Community - View Single Post - Jib or Main question?
View Single Post
Old 05-17-2008
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Personally I very rarely sail my boat without both a jib and main, reefing the main and changing down the jib, for the right sail area for the prevaling winds. My jibs are not cut or reinforced to be used partially furled, so I don't.

If you are going for a fun sail in a medium to high breeze, sailing with just the jib is fine, and a common practice. If I'm dropping off the mooring just for an hour or so, I'll roll out the jib and go.

A comparatively small main like that on your Morgan (or on my CS 36T for that matter), used alone, will not move the boat well in most circumstances, except down wind in a real blow.

A boat sailing with just the jib IS unbalanced, it'll tend to have lee helm and to not accelerate very well...however...if you anticipate those characteristics, you can handle the boat just fine, provided there is enough wind for the jib alone to drive the boat. I experience no trouble beating with just the jib in adequate breeze, you don't point as well or go quite as fast as you do with a main also envolved.

Last edited by sailingfool; 05-17-2008 at 12:24 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook