SailNet Community - View Single Post - Jib or Main question?
View Single Post
Old 05-17-2008

BarryL is on a distinguished road
Boats and Sailing

Hi Nik,

My boat is on a mooring just off the town 'I' dock. White hull with red stripes. I'll be looking for you the next time I head out (probably Sunday morning).

Mt. Sinai is great because it is well protected, and you can be out in the sound about 5 minutes after boarding your boat.

Regarding sailing with 1 or 2 sails, I did a lot of experimenting with my last boat, a Newport 28. The boat sailed fine with just the headsail, but was more balanced with two sails up. With just the main I could not tack. With just a headsail I could tack, but not go to weather very well. In high winds, the boat sailed best with a reefed main and reefed headsail. If it was windy and I didn't have a lot of time I would leave the main covered and just use the headsail.

Good luck,
Barry

Quote:
Originally Posted by nk235 View Post
Barry,

I am also in Mt. Sinai. I have a mooring at Ralph's. Boat is a 1983 Morgan 323 named Capricorn with an off white hull, brown boot stripe and is just north of that beach in the middle of the harbor with that bbq pit stickign out of the sand. I kept my last boat on the south shore last year but so far am loving Mt. Sinai and the Sound.

I was hoping the wind would be more out of the west so I could have it on my beam tomorrow but I guess I will find that out when I wake up. I'm taking two of my friends out for the day so we don't need to make it over to CT but I just thought it would be fun to go somewhere but we can always just go for a daysail.

Docking wise I am still learning and getting used to the bigger boat. With my 25' I used to be able to get that thing in and out of everywhere because I could turn the outboard and the boat was so much smaller. This one is a whole nother ball game but I find as long as I take it slow, watch where the wind and current is out of and plan accordingly I do alright.

Anyway though where in Mt. Sinai are you? I'll keep an eye out for you and if I see you on it I'll swing by and say hello.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook