SailNet Community - View Single Post - Rhodes 22
Thread: Rhodes 22
View Single Post
Old 08-11-2003

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Rhodes 22

There are a number of boats that call themselves ''Rhodes 22''s so I am not sure if you are looking at the old Sailmaster Rhodes 22 or the Oday Rhodes 22, or the Rhodes 22 that has nothing at all to do with Phillip Rhodes.

The Sailmaster Rhodes 22 was a very high quality keel centerboarder that was built in Holland during the 1960''s. They were very good sailing boats for their day and are a good choice for an area with shallow backwaters to poke about in. While not great light wind boats by modern standards they still offer very good performance for their size and era. I have often thought that it might be neat to own one of these for poking around the corners of the Chesapeake.

The Oday Rhodes 22 was a rename of Tempest 22 which is not to be mistaken for the Tempest of Olymoic fame. These were good weekender types but would not have an enclosed head. They really make a nice daysailor though.

The third Rhodes 22 was a very strange little hard chined boat. They seem to have developed quite a following but I even begin to figure out why. They seem to be pretty poor sailors in light or heavy conditions, they do not seem particularly well made and they are pretty high priced as boats of this ilke go.

Jeff
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook