View Single Post
Old 05-19-2008

wakked1 is on a distinguished road
Death by boom

I don't think this has been posted here but I just came across this story:

Rescuers save woman after yacht death

Short excerpt:

Quote:
Rescuers aboard a helicopter running low on fuel have braved gale-force winds and sharks to save a distraught woman whose husband had been killed by the boom of their stricken yacht off Queensland.

The couple, Glynis and Colin Craig, had been on a round-the-world trip in their 15-metre South African racing yacht Deja Vu when they ran into gale force conditions after leaving Bundaberg on their way to Vanuatu.

Energex Rescue Helicopter pilot Dick Snell said around 5.30am (AEST) Sunday, 58-year-old Glynis made a mayday call saying her 62-year-old husband had been struck on the head by the boom and was dead.

An inexperienced sailor, Ms Craig said she could not get the vessel back to port and needed help urgently after the crew from another yacht had been unable to board the vessel due to the rough conditions.
First of all, my condolences to the friends and family.

Obviously not much specific details but one question that comes to mind is whether the man got hit when the boat gybed over or whether it was due to failure of rigging, causing the boom to crash down. 15 meter = 50', so you would think the boom would clear the cockpit and deck?

Last edited by wakked1; 05-19-2008 at 03:52 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook