SailNet Community - View Single Post - NC Locations
Thread: NC Locations
View Single Post
Old 08-13-2003

Stede is on a distinguished road
NC Locations

jwbernal,

It''s very disappointing to me to hear your impression of the people,and sailing areas along the NC coast.I was born and raised in NC and always felt that NC had a beautiful coast.Yes,a lot of the people that live in that area aren''t the Wall Street stock broker types,but they''re good people.They''re country folks and I''ve always considered them "real people." You can believe and trust them to the bitter end if you give in return.I believe if you''ll check it out,you''ll find that the snotty ones that you mentioned living in Southport,aren''t from NC.Most are transplants from other areas that have more money than sense.They move to NC because of the beauty,and then complain about this or that.A lot of them helped screw up the previous places they lived and then want to move South to implement their devine wisdom here.The only portion of the NC coast that I''ve sailed is around the Oriental-Outer Banks area.IMO,it''s one of the prettiest in the country.The lack of commercialization is an asset,not a deterent to cruising the area.Finding areas to "get away from it all" are becoming harder to find as the cruising domain becomes more restricted by politicians and commercial developers.The NC coast does have it''s problems as does many other states.As I mentioned previously in this post,water quality is a major concern.Hopefully,with constuctive comments posted here and else where,the public will become more aware of the problems and force the government representatives to do something about it.It wasn''t many years ago that the Chesapeake had become a disaster.With intervention,it has rebounded and is once again a premier waterway.IMO,we as sailors and lovers of the sea,should do everything we can to protect it, and promote awareness of concerns.By doing so,hopefully the next generation of sailors will still have great waterways to sail without a cesspool of development dumped into it. Fair winds to you!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook