SailNet Community - View Single Post - Death by boom
Thread: Death by boom
View Single Post
Old 05-19-2008
Belliure 41'

JT1019 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to JT1019
This poor women lost her husband to a freak accident, please let’s not forget that. I completely agree on all points however I think it’s important to think of her state-of-mind and the situation she was in. She is on a large racing boat under sail with decent seas and wind. The accident must have broken or damaged some of the running rigging or even the standing rigging on the boat. Her husband is on deck, lifeless, with what I would assume is a horrifying injury to the head. She is at the wheel trying to regain control, possibly with her own injuries, clearly exhausted and distraught.

I would think that after having sailed such a significant distance she would be experienced enough to take command of the vessel until someone could come and assist HOWEVER with her husband and best friend dead on deck maybe she was a little upset. Having seen what she did, I can’t say as I would be in any condition to sail or even have the desire to sail. She took the easy way out, right or wrong.

We should learn all we can from these situations however we must remain cautions about making assumptions. They might have been utilizing a boom brake that failed, perhaps a rogue wave hit the boat, steering failed, water-spout, or anything else you can think of might be possible. I don’t like to pass judgment on a grieving widow.