SailNet Community - View Single Post - Death by boom
Thread: Death by boom
View Single Post
Old 05-19-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
JT1019-

Racing boats, from my general experience, do not have boom brakes installed on them. As for the condition of the boat, it isn't necessarily the case that the boat was damaged at all.

Also, I don't think any one here is passing judgement on anyone. I, for one, was merely pointing out that all cruising couples should really have both members of the couple be able to handle the boat by themselves. There are many things that could incapacitate one of the two people aboard temporarily, like a bad case of seasickness, the flu, etc, where the other would be left in a position where they'd effectively be singlehanding the boat.

Your assumption that she would be skilled enough to handle a large racing boat in those conditions may not be valid. If she was primarily a passenger, as some people are on sailboats, her knowledge of handling this particular boat may not have been sufficient to keeping the vessel under control. We do not have enough information to know one way or the other at the moment.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook