SailNet Community - View Single Post - Best sailboat?
Thread: Best sailboat?
View Single Post
Old 08-13-2003

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Best sailboat?

That''s a little better. To start with that suggests a boat with minimally 15000 lbs of displacement and more likely closer to 23,000 to 28,000 lbs of displacement. That is roughly a 40 to 45 footer with something around 35 feet as a bottom end although I doubt that you will find a 35 footer of that displacement that will sail "Somewhat" quickly, or carry the tankage and have supply capacity for 4 adults. When you factor in the
"Around the world" factor you are ideally looking for a very robust boat with little useage.I doubt you will find a boat for your "Low- close to a homeless persons budget". I would think that a boat that was robust enough, in reasonably sound shape, and suitable to sailing around the world with up to 4 people would minimally cost in the $40,000 to $60,000 range. I would suspect that getting that boat in sutable condition, simply equipped,with proper spares would require an additional $15,000 to $30,000 if you were capable of doing most of your own labor. Of course that is not really a "Low- close to a homeless person''s budget".

The question "Are you MORE afraid of capsizing or sinking?" is an either or question as this affects some of the necessary tradeoffs involved in selecting a boat.

Jeff

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook