SailNet Community - View Single Post - Death by boom
Thread: Death by boom
View Single Post
Old 05-19-2008

J36ZT is on a distinguished road
I have some medical knowledge and some sailing experinece. Here is my take on this: Imagine you are the wife in this case. You're down below because having just two people onboard means one must rest while the other sails. You hear a loud crash and call for your husband...no answer. You go to the cockpit and discover he is unconscious. While the boat is in moderate to heavy seas, you attempt to revive him and perform CPR. How long would you be able to perform CPR and when would you give up? I'm guessing she was totally exhausted, alone, disoriented, and obviously distraught. All things considered, I'd say she made a good choice in asking for assistance...even if she had the skills to bring the boat back to port (damaged or not).

Now, two more things: 1) Everyone onboard that is even close to adult size should know how to start the engine and bring the sails down. 2) Booms are deadly pieces machinery, KEEP ALL BODY PARTS AWAY FROM THEIR ARC OF TRAVEL...brake/preventer or not. I had a trauma surgeon once tell me that wearing a bicycle helmet while on deck wasn't a bad idea.

Just my take on the situation.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook