SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bad Time with Abaco Bahamas Charters
View Single Post
Old 05-19-2008

Jetsetter is on a distinguished road
I heard about that captain, from the captain who had to rescue the boat back to Miami without a rudder. What a mess!

We are still in the midst of trying to receive the refund of our deposit from Abaco Bahamas Charters, who have done nothing to reimburse or respond. They have also failed to reimburse us for two full days we lost out of the charter,($1700) to say nothing of the out of pocket expenses of being stuck in a marina for two days ($300), and the long distance calls we had to make on our cell phones to the technician in Ft. Lauderdale $400) in order to just get the boat running long enough to return to Hope Town and go home.

We learned a lot from this trip. I will not charter again without a direct referral from someone I know well enough to put $10,000 at risk based on their opinion. I have learned that we will likely not charter our boat out when we get it. Given the way that this guy handles the boats he manages for ABC, and the company who hired the captain you spoke of (who was well-known to be a loose cannon even before that disaster. I"m no longer inclined to trust my million dollar boat with some one who is just interested in turning a buck.

I do agree that its a shame for those who do the best job they can for their customers and boat owners, but it seems like those companies are very few and far between these days.

Oh and did I tell you that he tried to pin a pre-existing ding in the hull on us too? It just never ends. It's a good thing we filmed the whole thing.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook