SailNet Community - View Single Post - Another restoration project
View Single Post
Old 05-20-2008

TomandKarens34 is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Another restoration project

There seems to be far too little traffic on this Irwin forum. I know we're out here and I'm going to make some posts and try to establish some fresh comments here. So I'm standing in a pile of rotted plywood, wondering how my 34 Citation came to this. If it wasn't for delayed maintenance, I'd never be able to afford a boat like this, but it's such a shame. $100 worth of new port gaskets would have prevented all this water damage. Predictably, the more rotted wood I remove, the more I find. So as I'm clearing out the cabin's walls, I notice the bulkheads are topped with plywood strips under the side decks. They don't seem to be connected at all at this point. Just thought I'd ask if anyone has glassed in their bulkheads where they butt under the side decks. I plan on restoring them without any extra re-enforcement, just as I found them, but... I know this boat is built to a price, but is the extra effort in glassing the bulkhead in worth the effort?
Another subject that seems worth spending some time on is the pan-to-hull connection. I'm planning of investigating ways to connect the two better and am interested in any thoughts and experiences others have had up grading this structure.
I'm planning to replace the bearing mount for the rudder, the steel channel is rusted pretty badly and have heard of an up grade for how it's mounted but have not found a description. Hope you guys are out enjoying the H2O.