SailNet Community - View Single Post - Compass 28
Thread: Compass 28
View Single Post
Old 05-20-2008
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Cameron,
H28 and C28 totally different boats albeit based on the same design. To make it even more confusing there was both an Australian and a New Zealand Compass Yachts.

C28 began life as the Northerner 28 designed by (I think) a fellow by the name of Rob Lees and they were built apparently by John Duncanson of Duncanson Yachts fame. Fabulous little boats, I know, I owned one for donkey's years and spent many a weekend plus the occasional longer cruise on her. Wee bit cramped but I rebuilt the interior to suit myself and was as happy as I could be given that she was not the Tardis.

Duncanson and the designer apparently fell out and Compass Yachts came into being to build the C28 while Duncanson went on to built a slightly longer version known as the Duncanson 29. H28 is in the same class but heavier and more expensive, there is also the Clansman 30 which is very similar.

Positives were ease of handling under sail, a reasonably comfortable interior and nice cockpit big enough for lounging, indeed I often slept out there under the stars. Poor stowage space made up for to some extent by under cockpit quarter berth that I never slept in and the Volvo donk ran on the smell of an oily rag.

Negatives were limited space, lack of tankage (both fuel and water), not a whole lot of storage space and absolutely appalling behaviour in reverse under power. Overloaded for a cruise they have a tendency to squat down at the stern but that's no big deal really.

Mine had two setter berths rather than the dinette and I found this to be a far preferable arrangement. She also had an enclosed head with shower stall formed by closing off the space between the forward cabin and the saloon.

Good sea boats, mine won it's class in the Sydney - Montague Island race in the early seventies although I never raced her myself.

Mine has since cruised the NSW and QLD coasts , is now up in Moreton Bay and still going strong although that is more to the credit of the folk I sold her to than me.

Depending on what you want to use the thing for they, and their cousins are highly recommended but if you want something for longish term cruising my feeling is they are a bit cramped inside.

Any questions, let me know. Happy to answer any and all.

ps - the C29 was a slightly larger version that Compass hoped would extend the life of the design but the word is that they were nowhere near the same build quality and suffered badly from the dreaded pox. That is what I have been told, it is not gospel however.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.

Last edited by tdw; 05-20-2008 at 02:09 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook