SailNet Community - View Single Post -
Thread:
View Single Post
Old 08-13-2003

928frenzy is on a distinguished road
As I told my kids when they were thinking of dropping-out: "Go ahead, the world needs ditch-diggers too."

As it turned out, my oldest did, but within four months she was attending evening classes to get her GED. She now admits, mom and dad were right when we told her how tough it was to live without a HS diploma. Heck, it''s not much easier with one, but at least it can get you a decent job, from which you might be able to move upward.

Like you, she didn''t care for the school structure and she didn''t like many of her teachers. However, she soon found out that the "school of hard-knocks" had even worse teachers, and the care-free (do it at your own pace) structure was hard to continue for an extended period of time. As it turns out, she finally settled down (grew up) and earned her GED and then a BA.

Hopefully, you too will grow up. However, if not, be prepared to do menial jobs (like cleaning out holding tanks, scrubbing and painting boat bottoms, and other jobs that aren''t particularly challenging) for a very long time, or at least till a younger dummy comes along. Be careful, cause he/she may replace you, and you may not even get hired for the lousy jobs you did before.

No one said getting an education is easy. Also, no one said good jobs are easy to find. Ever wonder why the good jobs usually get taken by folks with an education? It''s usually because they''ve proved they could stick it out to get that higher education. That usually translates to "They have proved worthy of holding the better (high-paying) job." Whether that true or not doesn''t matter. That what most employers think, and that''s what really matters.

Back when I was in the Navy, I saw lots of poorly educated folks working on the ship. They were hard working guys without which the Navy would come to an abrupt halt. As hard working as they were, they were kept busy doing menial work and were never asked to make meaniful decisions. That was probably fine by them, as they probably didn''t think they could anyway. They were happy to be getting three squares a day, and a place to sleep. For them, what more was there to life? As the saying goes, "Ignorance is bliss."

Well it sounds like you currently think "Ignorance is bliss." I hope for your sake it will be true. However, I sorry to tell you, but the odds are stacked way against you. In any event, I wish you the best of luck - cause (IMO) you''ll need it.

~ Happy sails to you ~ _/) ~
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook