SailNet Community - View Single Post - C&D Canal RR Bridge -Be Aware
View Single Post
Old 05-20-2008

LoveAndLuck is on a distinguished road
I have my boat in the Summit North Marina and one night last year near 11:30 PM there was a very large and tall ship (one of the largest I have seen on the canal) traveling east and was just west of the RR Bridge. I heard 5 quick blasts from the ship, as it noticed the RR Bridge was lowered awaiting the nightly train. The RR Bridge was quickly raised so the ship could pass. About 5 minutes later a train passed on the bridge. I would think someone in charge of the bridge would have knowledge of major commercial ship movements and train crossings. This major event was averted just in the nick of time as the ship would have taken out the bridge.

Also last year a 42-foot schooner was sunk in the C&D at 3:30 A.M. The people on the schooner were asleep (yes asleep) at the wheel and a barge hit them. The sailboat went down like a rock. And also last year a go-fast boat hit a wake, went airborne, the occupants went into the water and the boat went on the hard and hit a telephone pole. The boat operator was 2x over the alcohol limit. They we part of a poker run with tons of go-fast boats running 40-60 knots. I know this as I was motoring at 6 knots heading out for a day of fun in the Delaware.

Be extra careful on the canal.

Bob Figgs
s/v Love and Luck
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook