SailNet Community - View Single Post - Steering Without A Rudder
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2008
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by artbyjody View Post
I have always wondered, that if you were towing a dinghy and you lost your rudder, if you attached an anchor to the dingy and put it out to say 20 feet. If that would be enough drag at the stern to allow use of sails and mover the lateral plane...
Jody, I reckon it would.. especially when you got to shallow water - then you'd probably lose the dinghy!

.. but, as SD mentioned, you need to tow something. The best is trailing a drogue - or your anchor chain without the anchor on it.

It depends on the boat as to how well you can control the boat, but I wouldn't agree that having a full keel would make life easier. We were taught as beginners how to sail centreboard dinghies with the rudder up and they don't have full keels.

In Knotheads case, after putting the brakes on I'd suggest changing the headsail for something a lot smaller and backing/freeing it to steer. You might need the main up though.. dunno. it depends on the trim of the boat.