SailNet Community - View Single Post - Steering Without A Rudder
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2008

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Knothead-Flying only a genny should give you lee helm, not weather helm as a general rule.

Yeah, that's what I would have thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin
I had a similar experience with a lost rudder and found my fin-keeled 43 foot boat to be unmanageable. I had a longer tow from a twin engined powerful boat and even though I deployed pretty much every warp, bucket and drag-producing device off the stern I was still going through at least 120 degrees and we had a tow bridle set up.

I think that there is a HUGE difference between steering a fin-keeled boat without using the rudder and steering the same fin-keeled boat that is missing the rudder. The surface area of the rudder is quite large compared to the surface area of the fin keel rudder and the two are separated by just a bit less than half the hull length. Having both lateral surfaces gives a lot of directional stability, whereas if the rudder aft is missing then the fin keel acts like more of a pivot than anything else.

That was pretty much the experience I had. I even thought about having the guy tow us backwards.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook