SailNet Community - View Single Post - Compass 28
Thread: Compass 28
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2008
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilenart View Post
No worries, I've had mine for years, which I also picked up 2nd hand.

It's funny but I just realised it does'nt include Hartley 18's Ah well.
Finally got to reading it last night and, although the focus is on the TS16's (there are more of them in both countries), yes, the 18's get a tiny mention along with a nice write-up of the impact his radical design has had:

"The boom in trailer yachts, brought on partly by an acute shortage of moorings and marine berths, started with the most famous of all New Zealand's do-it-youseld designers, Richard Hartley, whose ..16 ft, ..18ft and ..21ft trailer yachts featring hard-chine construction, and aimed directly at the home boatbuilder, still sell in significant numbers despite having been long out-dated by other stock fibreglass designs.

Hartley, the mystery man of New Zealand design (he refuses to be photographed or to appear in public), has put more people on the water in trailer yachts than any other Kiwi designer, building a world-wide market for his plans in the process."
pg 194-195

I think that speaks volumes for both the design and the designer.

One design that is notable by it's total absence from the book anything at all from the stable of Van De Stadt.