SailNet Community - View Single Post - Best sailboat?
Thread: Best sailboat?
View Single Post
Old 08-15-2003

Magic_Moments is on a distinguished road
Best sailboat?

I have been looking around at boats for a little bit for an upgrade to my 29 foot boat and am budget challenged also. I have 2 boats to toss out and see what people think of them. They may work for what Jeff is looking for.
First is a Bayfield 32, built in the 70''s and 80''s. A strong Canadian boat, several of which have been around the world. There are 2 for sale in Vancouver between $25k and $30k. I think the boat would work for a coulpe, but be really tight for 3 or 4 people. It has very limited water tankage so some modifications would have to be made or lots of Jerry cans brought. I don''t think its an especially fast boat, but I think it could do the job. Draft is 3''9".
Second is A Chris Craft sail yacht 35 foot. These were built in the 60''s and 70''s. Its a center cockpit with a seperate aft cabin in the 60''s boats and a huge engine space, while the 70''s boats have an inside passage and a second head with a smaller engine space. There is a lot of deck space and a lot of stowage space. It seems to be a strong fast boat around 20,000 lbs. It is a S&S design and I have seen one sell under $15k that needed lots of cleaning but was otherwise well outfitted. I see others from $25-35K and I see them rigged from sloop to yawl and some with two headsails and a bowsprit. They have deck stepped masts with a compression post and seem to have held up well. Draft is 4''8".
There are lterally thousands of boats out there for every budget. Both of these are from the lower end and both are full keel boats although there are more and more boats going out with fin keels, it just depends on what you are happy with.

Ken
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook