SailNet Community - View Single Post - Steer with rudder or outboard?
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2008
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by feetup View Post
The propeller is not the only way to eat a rudder with an outboard.
Getting up a bit of stern way and having the tiller get free to slam against the stop is a sure way to over stress at least the rudder, if not the stock and tiller, and the side of my head, as the quickly moving tiller struck my temple just as I turned to look.
That was a lesson I'll NEVER forget.
I vote for connecting the outboard to the tiller.
I hate to break this to you, but connecting the outboard to the tiller is not going to prevent that happening and having a stop on the rudder before it gets to the hard over point (like on the side of the outboard perhaps) is going to be the best way to reduce stress on the rudder in the situation you mention.

The only _slight_ disadvantage that I can see in not having the two linked is that the outboard restricts the amount you can swing the tiller over one way when near the dock - but at low speed you should be steering with the outboard anyway, so it's a bit irrelevant really..

The way to fix your problem?? Don't let go of the tiller!