SailNet Community - View Single Post - O.p.e.c.
Thread: O.p.e.c.
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2008
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
As for the J-24s that were coming up to you on port tack, they thought they were racing each other and probably did not consider that you were there. I would call them 'race-holes'.
J-24s are racing boats and that is just about all they are good for. I have sailed one and they are fun. Racers seem to think that barges and tugs are in their way and should avoid them which is never the case.
Watch out for any 'official' race and avoid it as you would a barge and tug. This is also considered a courtesy (if you are a racer) as any boat that has to tack more than they need to loses time.
If you don't give a crap then just barge right through the race-holes on a starboard tack. Otherwise you will hear them shouting 'starboard' while requesting you to tack. Port tack defers to starboard. Windward boat defers to leeward boat by racing rules in case of collision.
People are ice-holes everywhere. We all know this from driving anywhere near a big city. Racers are like city drivers for the most part.
As far as power boaters go, there is a saying I heard down on the Chesapeake that says: "July and August are the 'Shake and Bake' months"; meaning that the wakes from powerboats and the lack of wind leave you baking in the sun and with the lack of wind your boat 'shakes' with every power boat wake that passes you.
Power boats have their place. I just don't have a place for one in my life right now. I respect working power boats more than pleasure craft that some absent minded dentist might be driving: fishing, crabbing (yes, they are working), and commercial vessels all are in my list of vessels to avoid when under sail (or motoring).
People are idiots everywhere. Give some respect and you might get some at odd moments.
My best.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook