SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sabre 28 main sheet rigging
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2008
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomgee View Post
I'm a new owner of a 1980 Sabre 28. As it's currently rigged, the main sheet is cleated on the cabin top with no easy way to run the sheet to the winch which is on the cockpit coaming. It also makes single handed sailing impossible.

Does anyone have a better solution?
I wouldn't go overboard on the effect of a cabin top mainsheet on singlerhanding. My CS has the same setup and I find it only a little inconvenient relative to singlehanding. The mainsheet is largely set-and-forget untill you change course, its the traveler you need to change on each tack, once again inconvenient if not lead to the helm but not a barrier to singlehanding. My advie is don't worry about it and enjoy your boat.

If you really want to change it, I'd start with the traveler controls first, you might look up pictures of Giuletta's control lines, he has the only good setup of control lines lead to the helm that I have ever seen. The sheet leads forward to the gooseneck down and out to a turning block on the deck, back to the secondary winches, and is double-ended.