SailNet Community - View Single Post - help me buy the best chartplotter gps for my budget
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2008
cap'n chronic

cnc33voodoo is on a distinguished road
help me buy the best chartplotter gps for my budget

ive had it with my old colourless garmin and my tiny screened handheld/waterproof magellan gps.im going to buy a new chartplotter/gps this weekend(probably tomorrow) and i want to keep it under $500 before tax(obviously not including the charts i need).so far i have seen a standard horizon cp180 and garmin gpsmap 420s and im leaning towards the standard horizon model as it seems to have a better screen than the garmin(i found the garmin's colours are not bright enoug so it makes it hard to dfine land/sea diference).
can anyone reccomend anything better and back it up with an explination? or if the models ive looked at are the way to go,why?
also i have all the charts of the area i use on an sd card for my magellan handhled which i also use on my laptop for viewing maps when on the water and im wondering if there is a possibility to load these into my new unit to save on the buying new cards.is this an option on any unit?
any help would be great.thanks.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook