SailNet Community - View Single Post - help me buy the best chartplotter gps for my budget
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2008
cap'n chronic

cnc33voodoo is on a distinguished road
sd-i would like to spend no more than $500 plus taxes ($575 can)plus no more than $200 tax in for the charts(which is what i paid for the charts i have already).this is a max number as i have seen quite a few for alot less and dont see a point in spending extra $ for options ill never use.
when i bought my last chartplotter/gps (when i was sailing on lake ontario)i spent over $1000 plus tax and now i cant even find cards for it(not that it would be worth it anyways)today i can get one a million times better for under $400.same goes for my magellan waterproof handheld-3 years ago i paid almost $700 for it and at the time it was the best model they made-today there are better ones out there for $200.its not that i dont have more to spend i just dont think its worth it as i figure in another 5 years there will be models a million times better for less money and ill be buying one of them.
i need the charts for georgean bay and surrounding areas Georgian Bay
my current garmin gps (a little outdated-6 years)has built in maps and they are utterly useless and inacurate.

barryl-the lowrance is a nice unit indeed,but the price is higher up here-$649-and the us map is useless to me-but thanks for helping out.
with most units out there the maps that they come with dont help me any so i just asume ill have to spend another $200 on way or the other.

the one thing i like about the standard horizon unit is all the accessories you can add on to it and the whole kit is ony $250 more.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook