SailNet Community - View Single Post - Father-son sailing sabbatical, possible? or just a stupid dream?
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2008

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewd View Post
I hate to be my own first reply, but after reading my post i think i should put in a little more background.

Dads an old navy man, hes lived at sea before, although its been quite some time ago. Hes an experienced doctor, very wise & very educated.

Im a licensed pilot, so im no stranger to radio navigation, reading charts, deciphering cryptic weather reports, fiddling with GPS systems, sleeping in cramped noisy places, and coping with bad weather.

We both get along very well together, and work well as a team. We both love sailing, even if its not moms cup o tea.

Seems like the adventure of a lifetime doesnt it? the kind of things people write books about!

I am going to echo the sentiments of the other responders here.
I just want to add one thought.
No matter how well you get along or how well you work together. Only one of you can be the Captain.
It may be a difficult decision but one that must be made.
When the S#!+ hits the fan only one person can be in charge.

Spend some time talking about it and make the decision before you cast off. It can mean the difference between a cherished experience and a wonderful memory or a relationship destroying fiasco.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook