SailNet Community - View Single Post - Club 420 Headstay
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2008
learning to sail

RayMetz100 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to RayMetz100
Club 420 Headstay

I bought about a 20 year old Vanguard Club 420 that's been sitting in the weeds for 10 years for $50. It seems to have everything except for a gudgeon, mainsheet, and spreader tip so now I'm up to $100 invested. I've chartered and skippered about 30 trips on 25 foot boats in the Puget Sound, but never owned my own until now. My goal is to get it on a lake soon to find out what else it's missing and see how the old lines hold up.

I'm confused how to rig the forestay though. There is a metal forestay with a fitting on the bottom end that only reaches to about 1 foot from the bow. There is also a metal wire in the luff(front) of the jib.

I think I'm supposed to use a rope to cover that 1ft in the forestay and then after the jib is raised, I'm supposed to take off the fixed headstay and attach it to the bottom of the mast when I'm running under sail with the jib.

Is this correct? It's a small boat and I weigh 260 lbs so I'm concerned about how I'd get to the bow and back without swimming. For now I plan to leave the headstay on and jib off, but I'm still curious about using 1 foot of rope at the bottom. Does anyone have pics of how to rig that or am I way off base?

Also, the bottom of the mast has a notch which seems to stick in a row of bolt holes in the boat. You put a bolt in one of the holes for adjustment, then the mast fits tightly in from the top. Without the sidestays and headstays tight, you'd be able to lift the mast off the bolt because there is nothing holding it down but gravity. Is that correct or am I missing a part or is something broken?

I don't plan to ever race it or spinnaker or trapeeze. Just lake sail in a light breeze with my kids or maybe try the sound someday if I get a wetsuit and reef points in the main and loose some weight, but that's not likely.

Any active club 420 or vanguard message boards where I can ask these questions? club420.org doesn't seem to have a nice active board like sailnet does.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook