SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cheap Race Sail vs Longer Term Dacron Headsail
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2008

DrB will become famous soon enough
Cheap Race Sail vs Longer Term Dacron Headsail

I have the opportunity to pick up a brand new race headsail for essentially no money compared to a new Dacron one. I wasn't really looking to replace my headsail, just my main, but a new headsail would be nice. Now when I mean no money, I mean $0.15 to $0.20 on the dollar.

The sail was cut for another boat and ended up having a different dimension than measured or cut. Bottom line is that it doesn't fit on the intended boat. Enter me and my boat, which apparently the sail will fit according to the sails rep. The company that I am talking to made the current sails for my boat.

In order for the sail to be used on my furler, I'd have to have a suncover bonded onto it at a couple of hundred.

I don't race nor to I have a true race boat, so a race sail would not be my first desire. If I move forward with it, it would be my rolled head sail on a Pearson 10M.

I asked about longevity of the sail and was told about 5 years. Considering that my current Dacron headsail is in decent shape (good), still functions well, and 16 years old, this is a little concerning, even at the price I was quoted. If I could get 8 years out of it, I'd be happy because in all likelihood, I won't have my current boat then.

So the loaded question is: Dirt cheap race sail now and replace in 5 years or save my pennies for a more durable dacron sail that may last many years longer.

DrB
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook