SailNet Community - View Single Post - Marinas on Hudson river
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2008
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
Your best bet is Catskill Creek, about 30nm south of Albany. It would be the first location with full service marinas. You have a choice of Hop O' Nose or River View Marina for mast work. Both are very experienced with mast stepping. If you can step your own mast, you can go to the Castleton Boat Club about 15-20 miles south of Albany. They have the equipment there. Outside of that, there are no other choices closer to Albany. The Albany Yacht Club is a great place with transient spots to stay overnight, but they have no maintenance facilities. Scarano's in Albany used to step masts, but as far as I know they only do it for boats getting hauled for work in their yards now. Anyway, they are great people and exquisite craftsmen (they build schooners), but would be very expensive even if they are still doing the work now.

By the way, if you stop in Albany and/or Catskill during the week, let us know. We'd be more than happy to give you a ride to the market or elsewhere. We're about 30 minutes north of Catskill and like to socialize with travelers.

Good luck!
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook