SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cheap Race Sail vs Longer Term Dacron Headsail
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2008

DrB will become famous soon enough
Great Answers All, thank you. Response Part 3

The sail in question is a Doyle Stratis GPx. The loft is local to me and they and this particular individual that I have been dealing with helped design and make the sails that are currently on the boat. So, he knows the boat, the area that I sail, and the wind patterns here.

The way he and I got to this point was that I contacted Doyle about a new mainsail, not a foresail. When I told him that they were Doyle sails currently, he asked was it a local boat, yada yada yada and when I told them it was a P 10M Tail Mast, he said there is only one boat like that in this area that he knew of and it was Mr. X's boat and he sold him the current sails. I said Mr X. sold it to me. He said both sails were 16 years old, quoted me on the main and said he could let me have a real nice light air perforamnce genny for practically no money.

He and I have made a tentative appointment to lay out the sail and take actual measurements at the loft and compared them to the dimensions of my boat. I will ask for a demo sail as part of the deal. Right now he is going on measurements that are in the computer for the sail.

I think if it fits, it could be a sweet buy, but I don't what to look for? Hence the request for help here. The current shape of my 135 genny looks a little stretched and I have problems keeping the twist under control. The stitching is very good and the panels are don't have any loose threads, tears, or broken fibers. The tack has a little wear as it rubs against the bow pulpit. Overall the sail is in good shape for it's age and does a good job of powering the boat, but I have nothing to compare it to. The new sail would be a 145.

DrB
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook