SailNet Community - View Single Post - help me buy the best chartplotter gps for my budget
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2008

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnc33voodoo View Post
i actually was leaning towards the garmin unit due to the fact that i know from experience they last a long time however when i turned it on i noticed poor colouring on the screen.then i checked online reviews and found that was a common complaint,
We haven't had that problem with our Garmin 498C. In fact I was quite pleased to find it easily readable regardless of lighting. Yeah, it's a bit more difficult when the sun is low over the stern, but not too bad.

Quote:
and that it was hard to determine land from shallow waters.
Haven't had that problem at all. (Damn good thing, too, because the lake we sail (so far) is a shallow one.)

Quote:
also a few reviews mentioned the sreen is constantly pausing to load the next information.my old garmin unit does that and its pretty anoying.
Haven't had that problem, either. Have noticed that occasionally when "scrolling" quickly to a location other than our current location, but nothing particularly annoying, even then.

Quote:
the only standard horizon item ive ever used was a marine radio that came on a 27 footer my freind has and it took a crap in the bed.
Odd thing for a radio to do. Did you swat it with a rolled-up newspaper and show it where it's supposed to go?

Quote:
kind of makes me question their quality.
Don't really know anything about Standard Horizon's quality. Saw some of their current radios recommended in a recent thread. Kind of considering a Standard Horizon Quest-X GX1500S from that.

The Garmin 498C is from something like season-before-last's product line. If you can find one somewhere you ought to be able to get it for a song. We're quite pleased with ours. We paid $626 for ours, from Hodge's Marine, shipping and all, but that was nearly a year ago and included the through-hull sonar transducer.

Jim

Last edited by SEMIJim; 05-23-2008 at 12:03 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook