SailNet Community - View Single Post - Club 420 Headstay
View Single Post
Old 05-23-2008
learning to sail

RayMetz100 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to RayMetz100
Sailingdog and others,

Thanks for the great forestay info.

"The white line and the steel cable are to temporarily hold up the mast until the headsail is raised"

What do I do with the white line and steel cable after the headsail is raised? Do I have to raise the headsail at the dock or can it be raised and lowered underway?

I know people race the 420, and 90+% of the people buying a new one or even a $2500 used one may do so for racing. If I had $2500 or more for a boat, I wouldn't pick a 420 because racing dingys isn't my thing. The fact is I have it leaning against my garage today and there are 2 tiny lakes within less than a block from my house and a 4 mile circumference lake another 1.5 miles away. The biggest obstical between me floating this 420 in one of the lakes is a trailer. I could still have "fun" with my kids leaving the mast at home and not sailing at all.

I have several hobbies, bills, and savings goals for my paychecks, and right now spending even $1000 on sailing isn't one of them. The next time I spend $1000 on sailing will likely be chartering a 25' keelboat to the San Juan Islands in Puget Sound or taking an multi-night ASA 104 class onboard a 35 footer.

I've seen ads for kids summer camps and others describing the 420 as a training boat with no trapeze and spinnaker. I'm sure there are many better boats for me, but not leaning against my garage and maybe aother $100 of parts. It's also possible I'll take some pics and try to sell it once it's on the water again.

Thanks again for the tips on using the headstay.

Ray
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook