SailNet Community - View Single Post - Raymarine Autopilot Remotes
View Single Post
Old 05-26-2008

negrini is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to negrini Send a message via Yahoo to negrini Send a message via Skype™ to negrini
Again, Raymarine is missing the chance to publish a good manual and/or update their product. I had the bigger remote for 2 years, and loved it, not only as a remote, but as the best protable repeater I've had. Cosider I have lots of kids on board ! Well, my point is, when you get out of range the autopilot disengage itself, leaving your boat out of control. With a lot of lucky, you may manage to get back on board, if sailing, when sails colapses. If you were motoring, that would be an insane temptative. The problem comes because you're not allowed to select your remote as slave/master, so when you run out of battery (happens to me a lot!!) the core-pack should sound an alarm and give you plenty of time to gain back the control (if you had set your remote as master, only). Several times, I got caught by surprise with the autopilot disengaging suddenly as the remote died, but fortunately without damage (except for a kid knee knock a year ago). Raymarine responded to me that slave/master would be a good idea, and I'm not alone complaining about product behaviour, but they cannot say when/if it will be updated. OK, in summary, I loved that and certaily will have it on my next boat, and hopefully Raymarine can fix that .....
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook