SailNet Community - View Single Post - Last trip was almost the last trip.
View Single Post
Old 05-27-2008
C&C 34

MysticGringo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to MysticGringo Send a message via AIM to MysticGringo Send a message via Yahoo to MysticGringo Send a message via Skype™ to MysticGringo
Quote:
Originally Posted by teshannon View Post
Russ,
Look at the good side, you're already ahead of a lot of people who don't even know where their emergency tiller is, much less tried it.
True... I was listening to a sailing podcast about a race where they make people setup their emergency tiller, not just show that they have one. I thought that was a good idea, so the next time we got to the boat, I put it on to see how it worked. Glad I did that.

I also tested my manual bilge pump too... just to make sure. When you need these things is not the time to find out that they don't work.

The thing I didn't like the sound of was when we came into port, and I told a guy who helped us when we got in about all the issues... he said, yup, seems normal. Having an issue or two is normal I think... having that many was not normal in my opinion. I grew up on boats, power boats, game fishing and diving. We never had this number of issues crop up in one trip... which gave me new respect for my dad and his preparation, and made me realize I need to do alot of work getting my boat set up more reliably.

I had a look at the guy's boat who told me that... and yeah, I can see how that might be normal for him. But, I will do everything I can to not make that normal for me. I will prepare my boat, and myself, and my crew better each time.

This is going to be a fun summer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook