SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sail Trim
Thread: Sail Trim
View Single Post
Old 05-27-2008

BarryL is on a distinguished road
Update

Hi Guys,

Keep the comments coming. Next time I will try a little more halyard and a little less outhaul.

Here is a shot of the genoa (taken at the same time as the main). The headsail is a brand new UK Halsey dacron 140. I should have had the sheet lead a little further aft and the sheet a little tighter too.

Some other comments:
The vang was off (we were close hauled).
The traveler was pulled up so the boom was on centerline (I had the mainsheet as tight as possible, then pull the boom up with the traveler).

The boat felt good: not too much heel, good boat speed, not too much weather helm, etc.

One final comment: Last year was my first with this boat (1986 O'day 35 with shoal draft keel). I liked the boat, but not the way it sailed. It seemed slow, heeled too much, lots of weather helm, etc. I knew when I bought it that the bottom paint was in poor condition, and the headsail was original (20 year old Neil Pryde 150 genoa). Over the winter I redid the bottom (see previous posts), faired the keel, and bought a new sail.

The boat sails much much better.

Barry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMGA0001.JPG (88.8 KB, 48 views)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook