SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sail Trim
Thread: Sail Trim
View Single Post
Old 05-27-2008
STARBOARD!!

KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough
Looking at the pictures of the main; the halyard does not appear to be too slack (to me). The bolt rope on the luff is straight over the entire length of the sail so that tells me it is pretty tight already. The outhaul is too tight because you can see horizontal creases at the foot of the sail.

If the wind is good but the boat is not driving or has lee helm because of the 140; you could add draft to the main by hiking the traveler more and easing the mainsheet until the sail is centerline. Of course that would also increase your heel.

On your genoa; the main halyard is loose; the luff should be taught just the same as the mainsail. We tighten ours before we unfurl and loosen it a bit after re-furling.

Your jib looks like it is not sheeted in enough. The draft looks huge in that picture. We sheet our jib in until the clew pulls the sail in close to the spreaders and the draft of the sail moves forward nearer the luff. If the main is not sheeted down hard it will form a reverse bubble at the luff. Some sayt that it is OK for the reverse bubble to form; but I think it reduces the power of your main quite a bit. You will know when everything is properly trimmed because the helm will feel light and responsive.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook