SailNet Community - View Single Post - Memorial Day Weekend
View Single Post
Old 05-27-2008
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Memorial Day Weekend

Well, if you are reading this you survived another Memorial Day Weekend!

We had an interesting weekend. Anchored out Saturday and Sunday. Mom and dad followed in their boat too. Came home Monday.

I spent Saturday night from about 130-330am in the cockpit as a 10% chance storm came howling through (as usual). Some of the worst storms of my boating life have come on Memorial Day weekend... and at a 10% chance!!!

But it amazes me the number of drunks on Memorial Day. I had a guy in a pontoon boat come over and ask me how to find a particular cove. He was lost (and drunk as a skunk). He could hardly even speak. He came within inches of hitting my boat at full throttle (no exhageration). Incidentally, his cove was WAY away from our anchorage and it was getting dark (just hours before the wind and storm would roll in at 30kts plus gusts). We then had countless skiiers and boaters buzz our rhode. How they kept from cutting it I could not tell you.

All told, I heard on the VHF or was aware of:

1) One boat catching fire and having to abandon.
2) One boat sunk (supposedly from a collision).
3) Counltess tows from breakdowns.
4) Two boats in our marina with anchor lines clipped, one of them by a speed boat that they luckily found.
5) Many, many people hauled off or written up for DUI. I witnessed one, and also understand that the TPW followed a boater in our marina in with the wagon waiting on his arrival (at which point they hauled him off). I heard about many others.

All in all, though ti is a great and long weekend for boating, we will stay marina side from now on during Memorial Day Weekend. We might go out for some sailing, but we will be back before mid afternoon to hopefully avoid most of the drunks.

I am curious how many others have this feeling? Is it even worth going out on Memorial Day Weekend?

- CD

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook