SailNet Community - View Single Post - Memorial Day Weekend
View Single Post
Old 05-27-2008

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
We had a great weekend. Worked on Abracadabra Friday and Saturday. Sailed Sunday. Attended a memorial service and fleet review at our sail club on Monday, followed by bbq, beer and swimming in the heated pool at the home of some close friends. Great weather each of the four days. (I took an extra day off. And a good thing I did, too, or we wouldn't have been sailing by Sunday!)

Once we got out of the marina/beach areas, and out into the middle of the lake, proper, the PBs just kind of faded away. There was just us, other sailboats and the occasional freighter over in the shipping channel. It was beautiful .

I think I may have gotten Abracadabra's standing rigging right. Going to weather in 10 kts or so, flying the #3 (accidentally - I meant to fly the 155, but oh well), we hit up to 6.8 kts and the helm was so neutral you could let go of the tiller and she'd just very >< slightly want to head up. (This was with the old, somewhat blown sails.) Mast stayed in column on both tacks. Main and forward lower shrouds felt and looked good on both tacks. Rear lowers on the leeward side got slack, but not "flopping in the breeze" slack.

The local news was all about an unfortunate incident Saturday night. A PBer headed out across the lake in the dark and collided with a big ol' dredging barge that'd been there since last winter. Of the five people aboard: Two were dead at the scene, one died the next morning at the hospital, and another was critically injured. The boat driver was in good enough shape to get on the VHF and call for help.

Jim
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook