SailNet Community - View Single Post - 1982 Hunter '54
Thread: 1982 Hunter '54
View Single Post
Old 05-27-2008

cayoosh is on a distinguished road
Thank you:

Breakingwind2, I have read that website extensively, mostly positive experiences from the other owners.

Sailingfool, I posted this thread to collect both positive and negative opinions from those that know this boat model, but in many other threads I have read they often result in sustained sniping between those that are supporters of production boats and those that are not, that is all I was trying to avoid, and my humble apologies if I worded the OP incorrectly.

Sailingdog, I had not considered that the maintenance of a boat would double for every 10 feet. I was going to budget about 10k per year for upkeep and upgrades, perhaps that is naive, however it was what friends of mine have allowed for some years on their Bavaria 42, but then that doesn't take into account your advice of doubling the costs for every extra 10 feet.
The reason I found the Hunter 54 attractive was that from everything I have read they are very managable, behaving more like a 40 footer than a 50 footer, especially with a sail plan of only 850sq ft. Most the Hunter 54's on yachtworld "appear" to be in very good condition for the price.

Camaraderie, thanks for pointing me in that direction, I had searched for posts on Hunter 54's but had not seen that one. Jeff H seems to be an encyclopedia of information about all boats.

Perhaps I should start all over again and begin searching for a smaller boat that ticks the boxes, the options appear never ending. Maybe something like a Cavalier 37?

Thanks everone for their thoughts, the dream is alive, the bank account is flush and the choices are ??????????
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook